We're all vomiting around here again. I'm very tired of it. Sorry about the dull subject, but there it is.
I need something else to think about...
Wohoo! I signed up for Secret Pal 10! Here be my questionnaire--which may or may not be of general interest. This is really just a meme post, I suppose.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? My favorite yarns are any weight and any flavor of wool, though I'm currently infatuated with alpaca and Sublime Extrafine Merino DK. My general motto is "cashmere for all", but really, I like all natural fibers. I don't mind cheapo acrylic (especailly if we're talking chilren's or charity afghans) but I don't like knitting man-made furry fibers (I would rather eat road tar than knit with Sirdar Snowflake again).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? They are currently in an old canvas tote bag.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I tried unsuccessfully to teach myself to knit for many years, but it wasn't until a friend taught me the continental/combination method about 8 years ago that it all made sense. I've been knitting happily since then. I would consider my skill level to be on the advanced side of intermediate. I've made a lot of small things and I often feel that I'm one with the yarn, but I've yet to really do something major, like an adult-size stranded sweater.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes indeedy! I have Amazon.
5. What's your favorite scent? Citrus: lime, grapefruit, orange. I also really like earthy-herbally-minty scents like Burt's Bee's stuff.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Yes, Creme Savers, toffee, and any fine, dark chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I like to bead and sew. I just learned to spin! I just took a spinning class and I LOVE it. (Shhhhh--I'm getting a spinning wheel for my birthday!!!!!)
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like classical music (Beethoven is my man, but I'm really enjoying early 20th century composers right now), bluegrass (I love me some good foot-stompin' fast note-pickin'!), and jazz (New Orleans, Chicago, bebop, fusion, I like it ALL). Ooo-and Scottish music (you know it's a good day if you get to hear some pipes). I have a fondness for 80's stuff (Journey, John Mellancamp, The Police, U2, R.E.M., New Order, Simple Minds, stuff like that). And yes, my computer is my stereo and it plays MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love all colors! Although I don't really like the color of dryer lint.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married to a most amazing renaissance man--a spectacular artist, a handy-man genius, and an ardent sports fan all rolled into one. We have 5 very interesting and busy children ranging in ages from 13 down to 21 months. We have a dog named Dottie (she's a beautiful mutt--white with black spots on her head), and a fire-bellied toad named Hopper.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all but ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I love to knit children's items since they don't have any *fit* issues like adults usually have. I don't have as much knitting time right now as I'd like, so I mostly stick to small things, but I fantasize about making big cabley sweaters for my honey. I've just discovered sock knitting and I really like it.
13. What are you knitting right now? A baby sweater (Pea Pod KAL!), a baby blanket for my good friend Kristen, a pair of Trekking socks, and a Cat Bordhi moebius. I've just swatched some Silky Wool for an Elsebeth Lavold sweater for myself (!) and I can't wait to really get going on it.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Of course!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like straights for baby items, circular (metal) for bigger things. I made my first socks (slipper socks, actually) with bamboo DPNs and I liked them--but I decided to try using 2 circs on my current pair and I think I'm a convert.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? I have an 8-year-old pair of Wool-ease mittens that I just can't seem to pick up or let go.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Who can pick a favorite? They're all fun, especially with kids.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Besides yarn? Little dolls, especially from other countries. I have a very small, but cherished pottery collection.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I would love to have Barbara Walker's treasuries, Nicky Epstein's over and beyond books, Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns, Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English, any Starmore book (except Fisherman Sweaters--I have that), and I would REALLY love to find a copy of Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting that I could afford--since that's the book that sparked my love of knitting. I subscribe to Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I'd like to figure out knitting backwards so that I could do that Lizard Ridge afghan without constantly turning the short-rows around.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am a new sock knitter--I'm currently working on my second pair and I'm really enjoying it. Women's US size 8.5 (European size 40?)
23. When is your birthday? April 3 (me and Doris Day)