Tuesday, May 22, 2007

seven things (a meme)

I did it! I started a Flickr group called "Presto Chango baby sweater". If any of you are knitting the sweater, you can post your pictures for us all to see. Yay! And if any of you gentle readers have followed the link over from Jimmy Beans and would like to read the design story of the Presto pattern, it's in the post right before this one--Thanks for stopping by!

Now, since you're all a little tired of me talking about Me and My Pattern, I'll talk about just plain Me! Marly tagged me for the 7 Things Meme, plus I've been pondering my summer knitting list for Ali. Let us begin with 7 random things about me that happen to be on my mind right now. And to liven up all this talk about Me, I'll plug in some pictures of my recent mad dyentist experiments in my kitchen (using Paas Easter egg dye).

1) When my husband is out of town, I usually stay up all night. There's no romantic reason for it, like not being able to sleep without my love by my side--I'm just irresponsible.

2) Sometimes I buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and I save it in the back of the freezer for when Eric is out of town. I eat it all by myself and watch Silverado.

3) I once counted up all the instruments that I've played in a band, orchestra, or ensemble and it was 18--but it's only 11 if we don't count the percussion instruments seperately. (My favorite was the marimba.) I used to spend a lot of time on music; I've let it slide for the past 12 years, though, and it is a regular souce of guilt.

4) While rehearsing the clarinet solo in the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony, I figured out how to speed up and slow down my heart rate by thinking about it (13 largo measures without a breath can do that to a person).

5) I'm trying to learn Italian by listening to Italian language CDs in my car. My kids speak it better than I do. They all know how to ask if you're thirsty and if you would like to have a beer.

6) When I was little, my dad would rock me in his La-Z-Boy and sing me tender songs from the 30's and 40's. My kids are perhaps the only ones of their generation who can sing "Mairzy Doats" and "Comin' in on a Wing and a Prayer". And has anyone else out there ever heard the "Breathless" song? (If I had a dictionary/ I would read the customary/ complementary phrases/ When I want to sing your praises/ But I'm up to here in trouble/ My adversity is double/ And to make the matter worse/ I'm breathless!) Anyone? Didn't think so. I can't find anything when I google it, either.

7) My best friend when I was a child had a fantastic 14-letter-long Greek last name. I'm still proud of how fast I can spell it. When she got married, she took her husband's last name; it's Jones. She has an older sister--and she's now Smith. Couldn't they at least have hypenated? Then they could have 19-letter last names! The two were often polar opposites in many ways and now as adults, one lives in Alaska and the other in Arizona. Yeah.

This fiber turned out much more pinky-purple than I thought it would; I was aiming for purpley-brown with a lot more bluish-gray. I like it though. I'm dying (har har) to get it spun up and see what happens to the colors. I think I'll probably need real fiber dyes if I expect to have predictable results.

Ali, I'm going to save my summer knitting goals for the next post, but I promise I'll get them listed!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

De-lurking to say I'm trying to do #5 as well. My kids pick up Italian pretty fast as well.
Love how your colors turned out & looking forward to seeing what they look like after being spun.

Anonymous said...

Oh I totally do #1 too. I have no idea why either. I'm also a lapsed violin/viola player. I do feel sad and guilty about that as well.

Anonymous said...

Little lambsey divey! I also sing old songs to my kids, but they're not of singing along age just yet.

Jean said...

I, too, indulge in irresponsibility when my hubby's away. I don't know what's up with that, but it helps me understand why my mom lost all semblance of a schedule after my dad died. That was years ago and she's still struggling with it.

It's a stellar idea to listen to language cd's when the kids are in the car! I'll file that under "things to do with kids when I have my own."

YarnThing said...

Hey, I love the color of the fiber you dyed. Can't wait to see how it looks all spun up. Maybe I have a book I can trade for some :-)

Talk to you soon.

Marly

Anonymous said...

I tried to sing the "Breathless" song to my wife last night, but couldn't remember all the words. This morning, some of them came back, and then I found the whole thing on your Web site. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i also, must thank you for posting the words to the song "Breathless". my father has been trying to find the song for some years, as he remembers it from some years ago.
He was amazed when i said i had found the words on your site, as he( and i) thought this might be an impossible task.
Do you,by any chance, remember who sung this song? as i cant find any more info of it.
Thanks again.
Nick Hearn.

Anonymous said...

I would very much like to have all the words to Breathless. I have looked around the page that allowed me to post this comment but could not find that page with the lyrics. Perhaps you could post or email me a link to the lyrics.

You can email me at m at mroth.us Changing the "at" to the at sign and eliminating the spaces.

Thank you.

Valerie said...

I typed up these lyrics in a later post, but I'll copy them here in a comment for those who find their way to this post and not the other one...

I'm Breathless (as I remember it from my childhood):

If I had a dictionary, I would read the customary
Complementary phrases when I want to sing your praises,
But I'm up to here in trouble, my adversity is double,
And to make the matter worse, I'm breathless.

When I try to be poetic, you are never sympathetic.
As it is I do my best and hope and pray I pass the test,
But up to now I'm in the soup, my heart is doing loop-de-loop,
On top of all of that, I'm breathless.

You take my breath away.
My castles are all in a heap--
You've got me right where you want me.
Baby, you walk in my sleep!

So I...
Take you for a little walk, 'cause I'm a guy who likes to talk.
You leave me on the porch and then I wind up with a torch
For every single time that I'm inclined to tell you what is on my mind
I'm darned if I don't find I'm breathless!

(We used to have races to see who could sing it the fastest. Ah, good times...)

Anonymous said...

It would fit the music rhythm better if you do it this way: "But every time that I'm inclined to tell you what is on my mind...."About Im Breathless lyrics